Six Sigma is much more than just a way of thinking about process improvement, and the DMAIC framework. There are a large number of tools which can help you on your projects, to get the analysis and improvements that your company needs.
Plan before action!
These are used to look at how the process operates now
- SIPOC / COPIS – process overview showing clearly the inputs and outputs, giving a quick summary
Useful for turning raw data into usable information and prioritizing issues.
- Pareto Analysis – statistically you can tackle most of a problem with a very small fraction of the time of what it would take to solve every last issue. Pareto Analysis helps you prioritize to get the most efficient solution.
- Brainstorming and Nominal Group Technique are two great methods for producing solutions to an issue
- Multivoting can be used to rank and prioritize the improvement methods you’ve found
- 5S/CANDO – A Lean framework for keeping a workplace efficient
If you don’t want to keep looking at Six Sigma lookup tables, you can change between DPMO (proportion of operations that end in error) and sigma level in excel:
I’m adding new tools all the time so if you want a specific one check back later or mention it in the comments.