You go into a lot more detail at this stage, getting customers involved to get a full map of the process as it currently stands. You need to get a handle on the past to know where you are going, namely:
- What problems have been found with the current process that has led to this project?
- Has anything already been tried? If so what was the result?
- Have any potential causes already been identified?
- Collect data on issues such as yields and issues frequencies, to determine the base line of how many issues the current system is creating (this data will be analysed in more detail in the ‘Analyze’ phase next)
- Create process maps which thoroughly map how the process works, including inputs, outputs, and timings
- Closely define the current how the current process operates
- Agree on a reliable way of measuring the system
- Measure the current output / yield
- Understand current process
- Voice of the Customer
- Case for change
- Communication plan